We produce seeds from rare and ancient garden plants. All our seeds are open pollinated and not genetically modified nor patented. They are grown ecologically, without any pesticide or synthetic fertilizer.
At Terre Promise, heirloom varieties from Quebec and Canada grow alongside curiosities from all over the world. Each variety is unique and has its own characteristics. From one generation to the next, they are selected for their taste, color and shape, or for their resistance to diseases, pests or climate hazards. Our current food system has led many varieties to become forgotten throughout the years, because they couldn’t withstand transportation over long distances nor commercial handling. We work to find these varieties and share them with you to offer better nutritional diversity.
The plants that grow from the seeds we selected will, in turn, produce more seeds, which you may collect just like our ancestors did for generations. If saved properly, you will be able to use them the following year or share them with your community. Seeds can be shared with gardeners and neighbors or passed from one generation to the next, in order to increase each and everyone’s autonomy and food security.
In the field
At the farm, we grow 95% of the varieties we sell. The remaining 5% comes from other Quebec seed farmers or, when a certain crop fails, from a Canadian organic seed farm. We base our work on permaculture principles in order to produce seeds harmoniously with the environment. We use wood chips and dead leaves as mulch. We do not plow nor till the beds, which are permanent. The soil is only worked by hand with traditional tools such as pitchforks and shovels, and the grass is cut with a scythe. No machines are used on the plot to avoid soil compaction.
Moreover, we have a wide diversity of flowers to attract pollinators. We have also created several habitats for natives insects, reptiles and amphibians.
Lastly, we have dug up two ponds to welcome frogs and passing ducks. Since we do not irrigate our fields (aside from planting time), we use the rainwater that accumulates in these ponds when we do need to water some crops. Mulch and a careful garden design help retain enough moisture so that the plants are self-sufficient for most of the season.